Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hull Panels


Managed to get some time Friday to join the hull panels. Decided to use the butt block method of joining. I just used scrap Okume cut in 6 inch wide strips short enough to leave room for the shear and room to work at the chine. I made sure the grain orientation matched that of the large panels. Not sure if this maters but it was easy enough to do.

The strips were epoxied using MAS with a little thickener. I've used MAS Low Viscosity epoxy in the past and always had good luck. I like the zero VOC and no blush...

I should know later today if the blocks effect the ability to get a fair curve.

Assuming everything is properly cured (I made a test piece for destructive testing just for the heck of it) I hope to get the hull panels cut, frame 214 (transom) re-enforced and the keel blank epoxied.

I also spent some time at the computer running some keel bulb calculations and have what I think is a decent compromize between wetted surface and drag. It looks like a flattened shape is going to work and be fairly easy to build. I need to verify the center of gravity is close to the design.
The future Captain complete with a little drool.

No comments:

Post a Comment