Monday, November 16, 2009

Lofty goals this weekend



This weekend produced a good start on the build.

The strips for the keel blank were ripped Thursday, the Okume was delivered Friday and the 165 pounds of lead arrived Saturday. The mail man was puzzled to say the least! Three flat-rate boxes +50 pounds had them scratching their heads. My wife explained it to him and he couldn't wait to tell the folks back at the office. "If it fits, it ships!"

Saturday and Sunday I spent lofting and then cutting the frames, I managed to complete them all minus frame 000. That should be an easy one. I discovered I am better at following a line with the jig saw than I am using a straight edge. I pay closer attention with the line.

After cutting (and routing the inner edges) I measured and the worst frame was only out 1/16 of an inch. Good enough for me! I normally work with metal and that seemed horrible but I'm told that is pretty close. This quality of wood is a pleasure to work with.

I took a bunch of photos I'll try and post a couple.

Next up is to layout the hull bottom and the sides. I did learn that the Okume is NOT 96 inches long! It is 98.5 (2500 mm)! Good to know because it would have put the forward butt joints nearly on top of frame 18. Glad I measured it.

1 comment:

  1. Hello and welcome to the group. I don't know if you have lofted f 89 above yet. Just note that some have gone double (or more) thickness at this station.

    Regards,
    George (213).

    ReplyDelete